Toxicity Never Had so Many Likes
Why do we do this to ourselves? Volunteer our time and dedicate hours of it to editing a single photo-just to compare it to everyone else’s? Why do I spend days scrolling down and questioning how I look? When I attempt to take a photo I go through every filter picking apart the smallest imperfections. My face too round, chin too much, stomach not flat enough, one eye is too squint-y, lips need to be fuller, hair askew, higher angle, I need better lighting, I’m now downloading an app to edit my body and face for what exactly?
Social Media is one of the most toxic things in our world. Social Media allows us to create an alternate reality of our own lives and gives us the tools to compare ourselves to everyone around us. It gives a platform to successful celebrities just for them to sell us products we think will make us look and feel better.
Social Media is like one big advertisement, either for products or our own lives. It's not even about sharing your life anymore. It's about getting likes, fitting into a mold, and trying to stand out while fitting in.
Here's the thing about all Social Media platforms, they do not and cannot depict our real life reality. It causes all of us to use this platform to compete and compare our own lives to one another - even though it's all fake. We select certain photos, we alter them, edit them, we think of captions, we use filters, etc. It is all extremely calculated.
Falling into that spiraling depression after scrolling through countless portraits and photographs is so easy to do. To feel worthless and to feel behind in your own success.
It's so easy.
I stopped posting so much. I stopped opening the apps. I took a break. I took a step back. I tapped into the world around me. Our faces aren't meant to be one dimensional. Our bodies do not need to be edited. And you do not have to live your life in front of an audience.
When you start feeling bad about yourself it's okay to take a break. I promise you are not going to miss out on what everyone else is doing, because you'll actually be focusing on what you're doing.
Live in reality, take less photos for others and take more photos for yourself.
Take a break from social media. And above all else-
Don't live your life in front of an audience.
![]() |
Social Media is like one big advertisement, either for products or our own lives. It's not even about sharing your life anymore. It's about getting likes, fitting into a mold, and trying to stand out while fitting in.
Here's the thing about all Social Media platforms, they do not and cannot depict our real life reality. It causes all of us to use this platform to compete and compare our own lives to one another - even though it's all fake. We select certain photos, we alter them, edit them, we think of captions, we use filters, etc. It is all extremely calculated.
Falling into that spiraling depression after scrolling through countless portraits and photographs is so easy to do. To feel worthless and to feel behind in your own success.
It's so easy.
I stopped posting so much. I stopped opening the apps. I took a break. I took a step back. I tapped into the world around me. Our faces aren't meant to be one dimensional. Our bodies do not need to be edited. And you do not have to live your life in front of an audience.
When you start feeling bad about yourself it's okay to take a break. I promise you are not going to miss out on what everyone else is doing, because you'll actually be focusing on what you're doing.
Live in reality, take less photos for others and take more photos for yourself.
Take a break from social media. And above all else-
Don't live your life in front of an audience.

Comments
Post a Comment